1. It provides pain relief - The Tens machine is a form of electrical stimulation that can help to relieve pain. It works by sending small electrical impulses through the skin to the muscles and nerves, which can help to block pain signals from reaching the brain.
- If I had to describe it, the sensation is like fizzy pop on your skin. It pulses gently between contractions and when the boost button is pressed, it hums continuously throughout the contraction.
- It’s like a back massage throughout labour that alternates with your surges and the gaps between. As the power of the contractions increase, the user increases the strength of the TENS machine to match.
- I sometimes hear birthing people unsure if the TENS is making any difference until they come to take it off and WOW! They realise what a gem this little gadget is!
2. It is drug-free - The Tens machine is a completely drug-free way to manage pain in labour. This means that it is safe for both mother and baby, and there is no risk of any side effects.
- It can also be used in combination with some other pain relief options such as gas and air and injectable pain killers.
3. It is easy to use - The Tens machine is very easy to use, and can be used at home or in a hospital. All you need to do is apply the electrodes to your skin and turn on the machine.
- Our preferred TENS machine that we share with our clients is the babycare ELLEtens2.
- This is the machine that I have used in my own labours too, I almost didn’t want to get in the pool as I loved it so much – I didn’t want to take it off!
- It’s easy to use, hold and control. The pads are easily replaceable using generic pads too making them useful for late pregnancy and labour too – CLICK HERE for pads.
- The batteries seem to last forever! But I always like to keep a spare pair handy too, just for peace of mind.
- Use the code MIM10 on the babycare website for 10% off too.
4. It is portable - The Tens machine is small and portable, so it can be easily taken with you when you go into labour.
- Homebirth, early labour at home, travelling to your chosen place of birth and in your birthing space, it can come everywhere!
5. It has no side effects - As the Tens machine is drug-free, there are no side effects to worry about. This means that you can use it safely throughout your labour.
We love TENS machines so much that we include the hire of our TENS in all our birth packages at My Independent Midwife
Remember! Placement of pads is very important but also very simple if you use your underwear as a guide
- Braline - Top of upper pads
- Knickerline – Bottom on lower pads
Did you use a TENS in labour? If you have any TENS TOP TIPS, please share them with us in the comments below!